The Virginia Law Review will be accepting submissions for its May Notes Pool from 8:00 a.m. on Monday, April 27 until 5:00 p.m. on Friday, May 8, 2015. Students who would like their Note to be considered for publication in the Law Review should read the following guidelines and submission instructions:
- The recommended length for a Note is 10,000–15,000 words including footnotes (approximately 35–50 pages in double-spaced, 12-point Times New Roman font). Notes longer than 15,000 words are strongly discouraged. Notes longer than 17,500 words will not be considered without prior approval of the Notes Development Editor. Students may submit Notes shorter than 10,000 words.
- Submit SIX (6) copies of your Note to the Law Review office (WB 292) by 5:00 p.m. on Friday, May 8, 2015. Please use double-spaced, 12-point Times New Roman font for the body of your submission. Please use single-spaced footnotes rather than endnotes for citations and references. You may print your Note on both sides of the page.
- Your name should not appear on these six copies, but each copy should have an attached cover page which includes:
- The title of your Note.
- An abstract of approximately 250 words or fewer, single-spaced, which briefly summarizes the argument of your Note.
- A table of contents.
- A list of the five (5) sources cited that are most related to your work.
- The word count for your Note, both with and without footnotes.
- If you are resubmitting a Note that you previously submitted to the Virginia Law Review, a brief description of any substantive changes made to the Note.
- In one sealed envelope with your Note Title on the outside, submit a single page that includes:
- Your name, phone number, e-mail address, and mailing address
- The title of your Note
- A signed statement that your Note was substantially written during law school
- The name(s) of the professor(s) with whom you worked when writing your Note
- Submit everything in one large manila envelope. A box will be available outside WB 292.
- All submissions are required to be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org in .docx format by the time the Pool closes. The document must include the cover page, the file name must be the Note Title, and the subject line of the email must be May Notes Pool. Please remove any identifying information from the body of the document as well as personal information embedded in the digital file by following the instructions below. Correctly following all instructions will maintain each author’s anonymity.
- Word 2007: Follow instructions here: http://goo.gl/mhoMC
- Word 2010: Follow instructions here: http://goo.gl/xis6k
- Mac: Select Word Preferences, Click Security icon, select the box next to Remove personal information from the file on save, Click OK
The results of the May Notes Pool will be announced by Monday, May 25, 2015 at www.VirginiaLawReview.org. All current students whose Notes are accepted for publication by January of their 3L year are invited to join Law Review. If you have any questions, please contact Emily Riff (email@example.com) or stop by the Law Review office.
For those current or eligible former students who are unable to physically submit a Note, please send your submission as described above to the address below. Packets must be received by the date of the closing of the Notes Pool to be considered.
Valerie Listorti – Room WB 292
Virginia Law Review Association
580 Massie Road
Charlottesville, VA 22903